The Hampshire House, located at 150 Central Park South, is a wonderful fusion of old world character, charm and elegance combined with the ease, freshness and conveniences offered by modern technology. A solid and resilient structure provides security, comfort, privacy and spaciousness. Location-wise, it really doesn’t get more convenient than this.
Known as a city of spires until ‘the flat-top invasion of the 1950’s the crown of the Hampshire House – its steep copper roof and twin chimneys are a clear reference to the design of the Savoy-Plaza. The dormers below are Spanish Baroque, and the base of the building with its rusticated white marble walls aluminum fixtures, and polished black granite trim are a stylish example of Modern Classicism. In addition to its signature roof, the Hampshire House is characterized by its glistening white brick, and its unusual hybrid, a cascade of setbacks attached to a rectangular tower that rise from the back of the lot. Standing with confidence amidst more the uniformly designed neighboring buildings, the Hampshire House is an architectural icon, that tastefully conveys a brilliant synthesis of the finest design elements of the post depression era. This 37-story building was started in January, 1931, by its developer, the H. K. Ferguson Company of Cleveland, and completed in 1938 by Caughey & Evans. Initially a rental apartment building, it was converted to a Cooperative building in 1949. There are some terraces at 150 Central Park South, a canopied entrance with a revolving door, a health club, a doorman and concierge, and an extensive list of amenities. Located in the epicenter of Manhattan it is convenient to public transportation, shopping and restaurants and has the most spectacular views. It is located on Central Park South near the main entrance to the park – an icon unto itself often referred as the ‘Heart of Manhattan’. Central Park South is considered one of the most inspiring combinations of architecture, landscape design, and urban planning around the globe. No other city in the modern world offers such a vast array of architectural styles as New York City. The Savoy-Plaza was designed in a neo-Classical/French Renaissance style by McKim, Meade & White on the present site of the General Motors Building across from the Plaza Hotel on Fifth Avenue. The Savoy-Plaza made the southeast corner of Central Park the city’s most elegant enclave, tying together the formal elegance of The Plaza and Bergdorf Goodman with a massive, elegant tower noted for its pitched roof. Only the former Pennsylvania Station and the Singer Building on Lower Broadway were greater architectural losses in the city in the 20th Century. Theme parks such as the South street seaport have replaced what were once landmark developments and buildings.