The St. Urban, built on Central Park West in the 1900s, became a landmark in the area’s Historic District. Designed by Robert T. Lyons and completed in 1906, the St. Urban is made distinctive by its high mansard roof and round corner tower, culminating in a dome and story-high lantern of copper.
The elaborate copper dormers, trimmed by equally elaborate copper cresting, are framed by the sloping mansard roof. The St. Urban is a splendid anachronism, an irreplaceable and elegant receptacle of large and gracious apartments. Its Beaux-Arts design is representative of the many important structures of its time, and it serves to mark what was best about the days before World War One.